Vanessa and I got together and decided it was high time to try out our wheelchair. We used a box-lash to tie on the support for the back caster wheel. then we cut it to size and anchored it with a screw. A bit of duct tape finished it off and we added the back wheel by inserting the rod into the pipe. Bravely deciding that Vanessa's safety was more important than my own, I took the first test.
The chair worked fairly well till we noticed a bit of a problem with weight distribution. The chair is front heavy. We're planning on solving this by moving the back wheel farther back and possibly adding another. We can also move the front wheels forward a bit too. Another issue is that the axle we used on the front is too weak. Bike wheels are designed to be held on both sides by a short bolt and a fork-shaped piece of metal, but ours are anchored only on one side each causing a bend in the axle. I will be stopping by Cycle-Re-Cycle in Benton Harbor to try and obtain these parts and hopefully use them in our design. On the plus side, our home made caster worked well and the frame is very sturdy. When it is finished, we believe it will be very functional and we're optimistic about the final pr

Leave a Reply.